Giving Report August 2014
our Donations at Work August 2014
During the second quarter of 2014, $17,301 was given to assist at-risk children and young adults who have “aged out” of the foster care system in Volusia, Seminole, Orange and Osceola Counties. Details are listed below, but first we want to let you know how your donations positively impact the youth in our community and particularly the following young person:
After spending many years bouncing among foster homes, 18-year-old Denzel aged out of the foster care system. When he arrived at a transitional home six months ago, he was behind in school and worried about his future. With safe housing, staff support and help from Wings of Hope, Denzel not only caught up academically but also earned his diploma. Now he is excited about his next steps and actively pursuing his next educational goal. The statistics for youth like Denzel are unsettling. Slightly more than half ever graduate from high school or receive a GED, making them more susceptible to poverty, homelessness and unemployment as adults. Thanks to your support, Denzel is beating the odds!
We are proud to help Cheryl and wish her much success now and in the future.
Update and News
Here’s specifically how the funds were used from April 2014 through June 2014:
- $ 7,600; 16 Families-In Crisis and 51 individuals participated in prevention/counseling programs to avoid removing youth from homes where possible
- $ 5,145; Academic Achievement WingsNet Awards
- $ 1,500; Savings Match WingsNet Awards
- $ 1,050; GED/High School Diplomas, Home Health Aid Certificate, B. A Degree WingsNet Awards
- $ 750; Nursing Certificate WingsNet Awards
- $ 600; Test for Adult Basic Education fees WingsNet Awards
- $ 180; Work successes WingsNet Awards
- $ 30; Volunteer service
- $ 446; Emergency Assistance; transportation; clothing
We will continue to report on how YOUR donations are being used. Thank you for your confidence that Wings of Hope will continue to be good stewards of your generosity.
We’re looking forward to seeing you at our “High Hopes” Gala on September 27, 2014! And even if you’re not able to join us, you can still help the at-risk youth who benefit from our event by:
- Participating in our Online Auction beginning September 9
- Making a contribution, sponsoring our event or donating an item to our auction
- Keeping us in your prayers
For reservations, information and event details, visit our website at
Auction Items Arriving Daily Whether you bid in our Online Auction or at our Gala, you’re sure to find some unique and exciting items. A few of our favorites so far are:
- 2 Nights at the new Four Seasons Hotel Walt Disney World
- Jet Helicopter Training/Sight-Seeing Adventure
- City of Orlando Skybox – 16 people for a Solar Bears Game
Beginning September 9 you can visit
www.wingsofhope.net/events-online-auction to see photos and read descriptions about all items!
Special Room Rate for Limited Time Lake Mary Marriott is offering a special room rate of $109 for reservations made by August 27. Call 407-995-1100 for reservations.